Skip to content

Visa FAQ

I would like to apply for a short term visa. How do I apply?

You can read more about short term visas for Denmark here.
Please visit the following webpage for information regarding the Schengen visa form.

How long does it take to get a visa?

The Danish mission has 15 days to make a decision on your visa application from the date the mission receives your passport, application and biometrics. In some cases, the processing time can be extended to 45 days, when further case processing is needed.

Please note: There is no need for you or your Danish reference to contact the Embassy within the first seven working days.

When should I hand in my visa application?

Planning ahead and handing in the application as soon as possible is always a good idea since unforeseen problems, such as incomplete documentation, may arise and prolong the case processing time. However, a visa application cannot be accepted if handed in more than six months before the intended departure.

How long can I remain in the Schengen area, if I hold a short-term Schengen visa?

A visa normally grants you the right to stay in the entire Schengen region for a maximum of 90 days within a period of 180 days. This period begins when you first enter the Schengen area.

Do I need to apply for a visa in person?

Applicants need to appear in person for the collection of biometric data: ten fingerprints and a photograph are collected from persons applying for a visa. Before the recording of the photo, applicants may be asked to remove glasses or adjust head covering if facial features are not visible. Certain categories of applicants are exempt from the requirement to give fingerprints, including:   

  • Children under the age of 12
  • Persons for whom fingerprinting is physically impossible
  • Heads of State and members of national governments, and members of their official delegations when invited for an official purpose.
  • You can read more about VIS here.

Can I travel with a visa issued in my old/expired passport?

In principle you can travel with a visa issued in an expired passport. However, the Embassy recommends that the applicant has the visa transferred to the new passport at the representation, where it was issued to avoid any problems when travelling.

Do I need travel insurance to apply for a visa

Yes. Proof of health insurance is to be submitted along with your visa application. The following three items must be covered by the insurance:

  • repatriation for medical reasons
  • urgent medical attention
  • emergency hospital treatment

It is preferable that the minimum coverage of EUR 30,000 is not divided up into these items. However, if this is the case, the minimum sum insured for each item should as a main rule be EUR 10,000. Importantly, the insurance must cover the effective period that you stay in Denmark/Schengen.

My application was sent to the Danish Immigration Service. Why?

There may by various reasons for this. Each application is evaluated individually and based on the applicant’s profile, including purpose of visit and intention to return.

The Danish Embassy will decide to grant either a “bona fide” visa, to refuse a visa or to send the visa application to the Danish Immigration Service for further investigation (e.g. verification of Danish reference, family/friend relations, previous stays/overstays in the Schengen area, risk of illegal immigration and more).

I received my visa, but how do I read the sticker?

It is crucial that you check the information on the sticker before travelling as the Danish representation cannot be held liable if a mistake has occurred when printing the visa sticker. How to read your sticker: here.

There is a difference between the number of days in my sticker and the total period of stay (from…until). How long can I stay in Schengen?

You are allowed to stay in Schengen for the number of days in the field 'DURATION OF STAY………DAYS'. The period 'FROM - UNTIL' is longer to allow flexibility regarding entry and exit within the mentioned period in case of an emergency. So the total stay must never exceed the number of days in 'DURATION OF STAY………DAYS'.

Am I allowed to work in the Schengen area, if I hold a short-term Schengen visa?

No. A visa does not allow you to take up employment or establish a business, trade or profession in the Schengen region. However, during visits of less than three months you may carry out certain work-related activities without holding a work permit. More information is available on the website of the Danish Immigration Service about visas and work permits.

I already hold a valid Schengen visa (I have not used up all the days in the visa), but wish to apply for a new visa. What do I do?

You must submit the usual application for a new visa at the Embassy of the issuing country and the current visa will be cancelled.

I am a family member of an EU/EEA/Swiss citizen. What rules apply for me?

Family members of an EU/EEA citizen or Swiss citizen who is exercising his/her right to free movement in Denmark have the right to have their visa application processed in accordance with EU regulations.

More information is available on the website of the Danish Immigration Service.

I want to visit Norway and need information on how to apply

You can ready about how to apply and the requirements for Norwegian visas on the following webpages: